Friday, March 7, 2014

Leftover Pork Roast Papusa

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a lover of Latin American foods. My favorite comfort food of all time is the humble tamal. I have always been intimidated by the thought of making tamales though because most of the recipes that I find are very intensive and make over fifty tamales.

While on pinterest the other day, I discovered something called a Papusa. It's kind of like the fast food version of a tamal. Instead of being steamed in a corn husk, papusas are lightly fried in a pan kind of like a pancake.

 A skillet full of chopped pork roast with one chopped chipotle chile in adobo, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and salt. It was spicy in the pan and that's good when you are going to encase it in masa.
 I used equal parts of water and masa with garlic powder and salt to taste. Let it set for ten minutes or so.

 Roll it into an egg sized ball. (It should feel like playdoh but with a bit more texture to it.)

Shape into a bowl and fill with cooked pork. You can also fill these with beans or cheese or anything that sounds yummy to you.
 Pinch the edges over the filling until you can no longer see any of the stuffing.









 Play Pat-A-Cake.  You want them to be less than half an inch thick. If the filling starts to leak out just pinch off a bit from the edges or form the bowl and cover it up.
 These are ready to be fried and waiting on a piece of parchment paper so I don't have to clean a pan...I'm lazy like that. Wax paper would work and I will use that next time because it is way cheaper.
 We put a drizzle of coconut oil in our pan over medium high heat. Cook each side of the papusas for about 3 minutes.
I actually like them more than tamales!!

I wanted to make a curtida (cabbage and vinegar slaw) to go with them but I was distracted by my other kitchen projects so that will have to wait for another day. We had them with sour cream, cheese, salsa and rotel. We also had peaches on the side because I don't like having a meal that is only protein and carbs.
Isn't it lovely? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment