Sunday, June 19, 2011

♫Bringing in the Peas♫

♫Bringing in the peas,
bringing in the peas.
We shall come rejoicing
bringing in the peas..♫

The garden is FINALLY bringing forth food!!! Yesterday, I spent two hours picking sugar snap peas and an hour trimming off the ends.
This is almost a peck which is to say, it's almost a quarter of a bushel of peas. This was a little less than half of the peas that were ready to be picked but they'll keep until tomorrow.

These are the peas ready to be blanched. I just pinch off the tiny little tough spots on the ends so that my children have no cause for complaint when I make them eat a bite of veggies...the HORROR!!!
I measured out a pound of peas for each batch,
 and waited for the not-so-watched-pot to water,
(my dear sis was over, we were talking most of the time)
 added the pound of peas for a minute or so,
 cooled them off as quickly as possible,
bagged and sealed them in trusty Ziploc freezer bags,
and froze them for this winter when I will surely miss the fresh food from the garden.
Tomorrow, I get to start all over again! Maybe I will be able to try my hand at Rhubarb Punch...

4 comments:

  1. Sugar Snap Peas ummmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. There we go....

    Sugar snap peas best eaten from the pod sitting beside the plant in the garden (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have no idea how many we ate when we were picking. The joke was to say "two for me and one for the bucket." :)

    ReplyDelete