Thursday, February 27, 2014

Korean Beef Strips

with mushrooms and sugar snap peas from Aldi

Have I mentioned lately how much I adore Aldi? 

On our trip last week, we found sugar snap peas at less than $2 a pound and mushrooms for around 50 cents for an 8 ounce package. I was so excited and we immediately changed our menu to accommodate our bounty. We managed to find marked down chuck roast at Kroger to add to our vision of stir fry goodness.

We sliced up the chuck roast and marinated it in a blend of soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, vinegar, and sesame oil. We based our recipe off of the flavors found here. However, I don't measure things often so that was just my springboard into fun flavor. I added some orange zest, some fish sauce, and a little bit of peanut butter that really seems to round out of the flavors of the Korean Beef that is in our regular monthly rotation. 


Whenever we have citrus, I keep the scrap peels in a bowl for zesting. Waste not, want not.
 I sauteed the beef in a big pot because my wok is almost dead. When it was about halfway cooked, I added the veggies (carrots mostly for color) and the leftover marinade and brought it all up to a simmer and promptly got distracted. The very bottom burnt a bit when I was out of the kitchen but I was able to transfer the good stuff over to the dying wok without losing too much of dinner! We served this over Basmati rice. The kids kinda liked it but hubby and I were very happy with the way it turned out. Sweet and spicy and we fed the whole crew for less than $12.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment