Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Yep, still here

It's been a while since my last post and I've been busy. Shocking, right?

Our second batch of corn came in and so I processed that right into the freezer. We did a total of 5 bushels or three HUNDRED ears of corn. How's that for a mental image? My hand still hurts a little from cutting ALL that corn off the cob but it's totally worth it. I honestly have no idea how much corn I put up or how many green beans for that matter. One of these days, the hubster and I will reorganize the freezer and catalog our food preservation for the year.

My oldest son turned 6!
Camouflage Cake with hunter orange sprinkles. It just about screams little boy, doesn't it?
Oh, that's a delivery that I won't soon forget. The child had a 15 inch head... (shudder, cringe) He's now the biggest mama's boy that I know and that's saying a LOT considering that the previous record was held by his father. hehehe Ken is a rather prickly individual who is not into social niceties or interacting with adults except for Mama. To me, he's a charmer extraordinaire. He will randomly and often tell me that I'm beautiful and will stop running through the house just long enough to kiss my cheek or my hand. Someday, some lucky girl is going to be AMAZED by how romantic this boy can be.


While I was trying to get the cake frosted (without previously licked little kid fingers helping), I threw some marshmallows and toothpicks on the table and said, "Here, make something!" in exasperation. It was a hit. I've known about marshmallow geometry for years but for some reason I had never exposed my kids to it!! To say that they enjoyed it would be an understatement.



They were happy and content and relatively quiet for the hour and a half that they played. It took all of 20 minutes to get the cake to my liking so I had PLENTY of time to do some Christmas craft research. Now, I just need to narrow down the contestants before I make myself crazy trying to accomplish EVERY cute craft that I saw!! I must have 50 sites bookmarked for further research.

We're starting school later this year than I would have liked but that's ok. That's the joy of homeschool, we can make it up whenever. I am seriously considering doing year long school. That would translate to a semester on and a few weeks off, repeat. I think it would be easier for us and also allow for a shorter school day and less summertime boredom!! I'll be posting all of our first week of school pictures and random thoughts next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment