Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My First Food Blog

Today, we tried out a new packaged food mix. Can you tell how excited I am? Hubby tends to be quite picky. I did not have the highest of hopes, but one never knows...

Last week, we found a wonderful deal on the new Good Earth boxed meals. They were being clearanced out at my favorite store at 1.49 a box. Most of the boxes had a dollar off coupon on them, so I thought "Why not, it's only 49 cents?" We bought 5 or 6 boxes. WAIT!!! Didn't I just say that I was only going to risk 49 cents??? Yep, I did. You see, even if we hate the stuff, there is guaranteed to be someone out there who will RAVE over it. I like to be prepared to bless people.  More on this later, Pinky Swear!!

This is what we bought.
Good Earth Herb Crusted Chicken with mushroom risotto.


The instructions seemed simple enough and the ingredients were all natural, I still couldn't pronounce some of them but they were all natural. Thank you, Google!


I followed the directions precisely, a rarity for me, but I wanted to be certain to give this box the "old college try" as Great Nana would say.  When finished, the meal looked precisely as pictured, however, it took at least 10 minutes longer than the 30 minutes that it had promised. Had I made this from scratch, I would have used my programmable pressure cooker and been done at exactly 30 minutes. I was not impressed with the so called convenience of this convenience food.

I served it with steamed broccoli. (There was a hungry family to feed so I did not take the time to snap a photo for fear of mutiny!) The broccoli and the chicken were a hit. The risotto was OK. In our house, that means we won't be eating it again. Like I said, hubby dear is quite picky.

Now, before anyone says that Good Earth has whole grains in it and that we might not be accustomed to the "better for you" brown rice, we rarely eat white rice. In fact, we don't have ANY white rice in the house. We only eat white rice when we go out for Chinese.

I think the biggest problem was that we couldn't taste the rice OR the mushrooms. There were some spices that were pleasant, but overall I think it was not REAL enough for our tastes.

Even though my family was not impressed by this meal, I know that to many it will be a step in the right direction. If you are used to have Hamburger Helper type meals then this will be a pleasant deviation! My dear hubby refuses to eat anything of that brand anymore because, "It tastes fake." It's a good thing I know how to cook!!

Time to return to the world of sick kids and potty training,
Live Well and Pass It On!
~Nifty

No comments:

Post a Comment