Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Things are happening!

We've lived in this house for four and a half years. When we first moved in, there wasn't much convenience to be found. The kitchen had one cupboard and appliances that out-dated my parents. The plaster had lost its keying and was cracking everywhere. The furnace was worthless. There was a lot of water damage upstairs. The electrical upstairs was unsafe. There was one closet in the whole house. There were two interior doors, one for the basement and one for the bathroom. The bathroom door did not latch.

For a while, we ALL shared one room because there wasn't another spot that was safe available. We all ate, slept, and lived in that room. I washed dishes in a tote in the bathtub and cooked in the living room with a crockpot and toaster oven. The bathroom had plumbing issues. The beautiful old tub needed to be set up to allow for a shower. My husband is a genius. I will have to document his fix that saved us hundreds of dollars in another post.

For FOUR years I have lived in this house without very much changing. We added insulation, that first year it was so cold that ice grew on the walls and we spent the night at my in laws! We've updated a few windows, we have space heaters (the kind that resemble gas fireplaces), the electrical in the kitchen, laundry, living and "dining" room has been updated. Our bedroom has been whitewashed and has a door!! The living room/kids room has been patched and painted. It is the closest room to being finished. We still need to paint the ceiling and trim and replace the windows and do something with the old pine floor. The kitchen is functional enough for me but not for most people. It is a hodge podge of old cabinets, clearance fixtures, and remnant countertop.

I'm not writing this to complain. This is merely a how it is kind of post.
We've been pretty happy for the past four years. Life isn't about things, it's about people and God has blessed me with some pretty amazing people!!

BUT THINGS ARE HAPPENING!! After years of scrimping and making do, this house is changing! The laundry room is the first room to see some MAJOR changes. The electrical has been completely updated, cabinets, countertop, and shelving have been installed. The laundry sink is going to be plumbed this week. I've even gotten new HE appliances that are going to save us a bundle on our water bill. We bought them secondhand from family and the washer uses about 30 gallons LESS per load than my old one!!! I have lights that turn on with a switch!!! We've been using a shop light to light this room. It was a bare bulb surrounded by a wire cage that we hung from the shelf above the washer and dryer.
The new Laundry Folding Station, that silver thing is my laundry sink upside down. The white cabinets are permanent. The brown is the linen dresser because I currently have no closet to store such things. Once we have a place for my linens then that area will become the sewing station. You can see the side of my new to me dryer, the washing machine is hidden behind the dryer and the drywall.  
My kitchen sink is now depressed after hearing of the glories of my laundry sink! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. On a side note, this is where I will be washing dishes when we are remodeling the kitchen in the next few weeks and months.

As you can see from my little cuties, the sink isn't plumbed yet but it will be soon!

My husband has promised me that I will have a dishwasher by spring. :) I will post more pictures as we take them.

No comments:

Post a Comment